Members of the Sanctuary of Tao (called Celestial Immortal Members) are invited to listen live during the recording sessions of the Tao Talks commentaries on the Tao Te Ching and ask questions afterward.
This ongoing class is free to Celestial Immortals.
This class is on hold right now and will be held at irregular times for the time being. We will update the website as the schedule is being worked out.
If you are a Celestial Immortal Member or decide to become one, here are the ways you can participate in this series, and how these ways differ from how the general public has access to the Podcast:
1. The 23 chapter commentaries that Stuart has already recorded will continue to be available to you in the Membership Area.
- Whereas the first 23 weeks of the Tao Talks Podcast will be these pre-recorded commentaries, released once per week to the general public, starting with Part One of Stuart’s commentary on Chapter One.
- This means as a Celestial Immortal, you will have access to those talks right away to listen to at your pace, in whatever order you choose, rather than waiting weeks.
2. You are invited to join us live for the recordings of the Tao Te Ching series of our Tao Talks Podcast, and these will be available within 24 hours after the talk.
- Because we are starting the podcast with 23 pre-recorded commentaries, released once per week, as a Celestial Member you’ll hear the latest podcast over many weeks earlier than you would otherwise.
3. You are invited to attend our Live Q&A Sessions after the talks. Tao Talks with Q&A are about 30 minutes long together on average.
4. You are invited to send emails with questions on any chapter already covered, for as long as the series is ongoing, and Stuart will answer your question on air during the Q&A session the following call.
- Answers to questions on previous chapters will be posted under that chapter for easy access and fully informative Q&As on each commentary.
Join us to gain a deeper understanding of these teachings by immersing yourself in this Tao Te Ching series.
How to Join
1. If you are not yet a member and would like to be a part of this class, sign-up to become a Member of the Sanctuary of Tao here, $108 for a yearly membership.
2. If you are a Celestial Immortal Member, log-in.
3. Once you are logged in, visit the Live Tao Talks with Q&A page for the Zoom Meeting links and details.
Scripture on Tao and Virtue (Tao De Jing): Escritura sobre Tao y Virtud
In the Tao Talks series on the Tao Te Ching, Stuart will be giving his series of commentaries based on his translation of the Chinese text. To get the most out of this program, we recommend having his translation to refer to as you listen to the podcast.
Tao Te Ching Audio Meditation
We highly recommend listening to the Tao Te Ching on a regular basis as the best way to absorb this work. For Celestial Immortals, the membership area contains an audio meditation of Stuart reading his translation of the Tao Te Ching accompanied by Taoist-inspired flute music written and performed by Stuart’s long-time student Denis Gendron. For non-members, the CD and downloadable MP3 files are available through Valley Spirit Arts.
Listening to scriptures in Taoism goes far back into history as many temples and monasteries would have a cantor read certain scriptures during meal times and some meditation periods. Aside from the obvious contemplative benefits, it is also an amazing method of acquiring the wisdom of Taoist philosophy without the anxiety of study. I’ve come to understand this method as a fusing of practice and theory into one, and it actually helped me understand the Taoist ideal of wei wu wei, best translated as “active non-calculating.” Listening to a scripture is active, but the mental response is non-active
—Taoist Chanting and Recitation